A Distant View of Everything: An Isabel Dalhousie Novel (11) (Isabel Dalhousie Series #11) (Hardcover)
Email or call for price
Email or call for price
Other Books in Series
This is book number 11 in the Isabel Dalhousie Series series.
- #1: The Sunday Philosophy Club (Isabel Dalhousie Series #1) (Paperback): $16.00
- #2: Friends, Lovers, Chocolate (Isabel Dalhousie Series #2) (Paperback): $16.00
- #3: The Right Attitude to Rain (Isabel Dalhousie Series #3) (Paperback): $18.75
- #4: The Careful Use of Compliments (Isabel Dalhousie Series #4) (Paperback): $18.75
- #5: The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday (Isabel Dalhousie Series #5) (Paperback): $15.95
- #6: The Lost Art of Gratitude (Isabel Dalhousie Series #6) (Paperback): $19.94
- #7: The Charming Quirks of Others (Isabel Dalhousie Series #7) (Paperback): $19.94
- #8: The Forgotten Affairs of Youth (Isabel Dalhousie Series #8) (Paperback): $20.00
- #9: The Uncommon Appeal of Clouds (Isabel Dalhousie Series #9) (Paperback): $18.69
- #10: The Novel Habits of Happiness (Isabel Dalhousie Series #10) (Paperback): $20.00
- #12: The Quiet Side of Passion: An Isabel Dalhousie Novel (12) (Isabel Dalhousie Series #12) (Hardcover): $25.95
- #13: The Geometry of Holding Hands: An Isabel Dalhousie Novel (13) (Isabel Dalhousie Series #13) (Paperback): $16.00
- #14: The Sweet Remnants of Summer: An Isabel Dalhousie Novel (14) (Isabel Dalhousie Series #14) (Hardcover): $27.00
When a matchmaker begins to question her latest match, Isabel Dalhousie is called upon to help.
A new baby brings an abundance of joy to Isabel and her husband, Jamie—but almost-four-year-old Charlie is none too keen on his newborn brother. In fact, he refuses to acknowledge Magnus, and Isabel must find a way to impress upon her older son the patience and understanding that have served as guiding principles in her own life.
These are the very qualities that bring Bea Shandon, an old acquaintance of Isabel’s, to seek her help in a tricky situation. Something of a matchmaker, Bea has introduced a wealthy female friend to a cosmetic surgeon at her most recent dinner party. Then new information comes to light about the surgeon that causes Bea to doubt his motives and the auspiciousness of the match. Isabel agrees to find out more, but as her enquiries take an unexpected turn, she starts to wonder whom exactly she should be investigating. As ever, Isabel’s intelligence, quick wit, and deep empathy will come to her aid as she grapples with the issues that are her bread and butter: friendship and its duties, the obligation of truthfulness, and the importance of perspective.
About the Author
ALEXANDER McCALL SMITH is the author of the No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency novels and of a number of other series and stand-alone books. His works have been translated into more than forty languages and have been best sellers throughout the world. He lives in Scotland.
Praise for Alexander McCall Smith’s Isabel Dalhousie series
“Isabel’s search for truth follows a route that offers tantalizing glimpses of Edinburgh’s complex character and a nice, long look into the beautiful mind of a thinking woman.” —The New York Times Book Review
“Delicious mental comfort food.” —Los Angeles Times
“[Isabel] is by turns fearless, vulnerable, headstrong, and insecure, but always delightful.” —Chicago Tribune
“Philosophical inquiries are spontaneous and ongoing, stitched into everyday life and conversation. . . . Genial [and] wise. . . . Glows like a rare jewel.” —Entertainment Weekly
“A world where humor is gentle, suffering is acknowledged but not foregrounded, and efforts to do good are usually rewarded. It’s a wonderful place to visit, even if we don’t get to live there.” —The Washington Post
“[Isabel] is such good company, it’s hard to believe she’s fictional.” —Newsweek