NWS Virtual Event, Yaa Gyasi with host Rochelle Riley, TRANSCENDENT KINGDOM
Transcendent Kingdom is Yaa Gyasi’s stunning followup to her critically acclaimed national bestseller, Homegoing. It is a powerful, deeply layered novel about a Ghanaian family in Alabama. Gifty is studying the neural circuits of depression and addiction for her doctorate at Stanford University — her interest is academic but also intensely personal. Gifty’s brother died of an overdose of Oxycontin and her suicidal mother rarely leaves her bed. She seeks the scientific basis for the suffering she sees all around her yet finds herself hungering for her childhood faith and grappling with the evangelical church in which she was raised.
Gyasi was born in Ghana and raised in Huntsville, Alabama. She holds a BA in English from Stanford University and an MFA from the Iowa Writers’ Workshop, where she held a Dean’s Graduate Research Fellowship. She lives in New York City.
Her previous book, Homegoing, was winner of several awards, including:
- Winner of the PEN/Hemingway Award
- Winner of the NBCC’s John Leonard Award
- Shortlisted British Book Award – Debut of Year
- A New York Times Notable Book
- A Washington Post Notable Book
- One of the Best Books of the Year: NPR, Time, Oprah.com, Harper’s Bazaar, Mother Jones, Esquire, Elle, Paste, Entertainment Weekly, the Skimm, PopSugar, Minneapolis Star Tribune, BuzzFeed, The Guardian, Financial Times, San Francisco Chronicle